Monday 21 January 2013

With no work today I managed a bonus walk on the patch this morning.
It was rather grey as I walked down through Kirkins and the first thing I noticed was flocks of Fieldfares going south in parties of between 40-80.
As I went around the edge of the field the first Skylark(65) of the year passed overhead.
In Furnace Lane I skanned towards the lake and picked up 5 largish birds coming towards me and as they drew nearer I realised they were Egyptian Geese(66)FANTASTIC!They circled the lake before flying off to the north.
I once again tried the ditches but the only bird that flew from them was a Meadow Pipit.
As I walked onto the dam end a Grey Heron(67)got up and flew to the other end. I made my way round the lake with Fieldfares still going over plus some flocks of Redwings. In total over 1000 Fieldfares and 180 Redwings went over. The sound of them going over was occasionally punctuated by the sound of the odd Skylark.
A walk along the  centre path of the orchard produced some Lapwings going south and in the south west corner of the lake I flushed a Kingfisher. The pair of Great Crested Grebes was still on one of the patches of open water and 3 Common Gulls were sitting on the ice. As I stood watching them and trying to get some pickies a large dark bird flew in from the south east and over my head. It was quite high up but as it went over I heard the unmistakable cronk of a Raven(68)BRILLIANT!!!This is only the second record for my patch.

As I walked back towards home a Buzzard went over being harassed by one of the local Carrion Crows.



1 comment:

  1. You got a couple of bonus birds there for the year Steve, 68 species already!

    ReplyDelete