Thursday 24 January 2013

I managed a short walk on the patch this morning. Once again it was cold and grey.My walk down to the lake didn't produce much of interest and a look from the dam end showed a distinct lack of bird-life.
I steeled myself to walk around the orchard which produced about 20 Fieldfares and a Mistle thrush.
At the bottom end of the lake I disturbed a pair of ducks which turned out to be Shovelers(69). They were decidedly flighty so I took a a couple of pictures from distance so as to not disturb them.
                                               Shoveler drake on Furnace Pond

                                              Pair of Shoveler
On a flowery note, the first Snow Drops have started to show themselves near Lake Cottage.
First Snow Drops

And in the garden this morning I have taken a leaf out of Warrens book and put some apples out for the birds which has paid dividends straight away with my first record of Fieldfare in the garden.



3 comments:

  1. Now Shoveler I would like :-) Still waiting for the ponds here to thaw out.

    Nice to see the Apples attracted the garden first :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have added some good birds in the last few days, have you had Egyptian geese before? Would love Shoveler here it would be a patch tick :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one other record on the patch previously

      Delete