Sunday 20 January 2013

With a light dusting of snow as I left the house at 08.00 on saturday I was hopeful of a cold weather movement which might produce something of interest.
As I walked down through Kirkins the first tick of the day, a Lapwing(60)  took off from a small puddle in the bottom of the field. A few Fieldfares flew overhead plus some Black-headed  and 2 Common Gulls.
When I neared the lake I decided to walk around the ditches that feed into the stream and was delighted to find a Grey Wagtail(61) in the bottom of one.
The lake itself was mostly frozen over but with a couple of holes in the ice.Unfortunately not much was on it, the only thing of note being a Lapwing which may have been the one I had seen earlier.There were also 22 Mallard, 8 Moorhens and a pair of Great crested Grebes.At the dam end the Little Owl was sitting in a hole in the old Oak.
Next I had a walk through the Alder wood where there was a flock of about 70 Siskins plus a mixed flock of tits which included Blue, Long tailed, Great and a Coal Tit plus 2 Treecreepers and a Goldcrest.
I also managed to flush 2 Woodcock(62). On the walk back up Furnace Lane I found 2 Yellowhammers and a Reed Bunting in the hedgerow and 3 Bullfinches in Gibbet Lane.
Whilst eating lunch I glanced out of the kitchen window to see 34 Lapwings going over S/W.
In the afternoon I had another walk down to the lake in the hope that something may have dropped in and as I entered Kirkins a Peregrine(63) flew east. Nothing had appeared on the lake but 3 Lesser Black-backed Gulls(64) went over followed shortly by a couple of Herring Gulls and a Great Black-backed Gull. 
                                               Little Owl in the old Oak on a sunnier day
                                              Goldfinch in the garden
                                              Gulls on the ice

2 comments:

  1. A few added today then Stephen, you did well in that constant snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 more for the year list Steve :-) I'd be hapy with a Woodcock here :-)

    ReplyDelete