Monday 14 January 2013

Sunday 13th January

There was a distinct chill in the air as made my way down towards the lake at 08.00 on Sunday. Even in the half light I could see there were a few gulls moving, with a group of 6 Herring Gulls going east as I neared the dam end.
As I reached the stile in the N/W corner I saw 2 large birds coming towards me which turned out to be Mute Swans (this is the first time I have had more than one record in a year, let alone a month).
As I walked along the bank on the orchard side 60 Black-headed Gulls flew over north.
Remarkably the Coot was still on the lake as were 4 Great Crested Grebes. A Cormorant circled the lake before flying off.
The Gullfest continued with 3 Common Gulls and then 2 Great Black-backed Gulls(59) going over east.
A walk behind the boat house produced Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Long tailed Tit and a Marsh Tit.
In the afternoon I spent some time watching the feeders in the back garden which produced Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, House Sparrow, Blue tit, Great Tit, Long tailed Tit plus 2 Lesser Redpolls.
Feeding beneath these were Blackbird, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Collared Dove, Wood pigeon and Robin.
Quite a nice selection!!

No comments:

Post a Comment