Tuesday 1 January 2013

A great day on the patch with the sun shining and the birds singing.I started my walk at 08.00 and by the time I'd reached the lake I had 23 species under my belt.This included all the thrush species I get here in the winter.
At the lake I decided that a walk through the Alder wood would be a good, if a little perilous, idea.This turned out to be both as I added Marsh Tit, Coal Tit and Goldcrest to the tally. Siskin numbers were down on recent counts, about 25, plus 1 Lesser Redpoll.
As I was watching them I heard the unmistakeable sound of wings and looked up to see 6 Mute Swans flying south over the trees, BRILLIANT!! Even though I have the lake I have very few records of this species( less than one a year).
In the wood there was also a Brambling feeding with some Chaffinches.
By the end of my walk I had 49 species, with just one raptor (a Kestrel) and one species of gull ( Black Headed).
So even though I had a really good tally there are still a few species to be had before spring migrants start arriving.
In the afternoon I went for a walk up to Haymans Hill orchard and found 17 Waxwings to make 50 Species for the day.

1 comment:

  1. Got the Mute Swans on the list good and early then Steve, some pretty good species you picked up today too :-)

    ReplyDelete