Sunday 22 January 2017

This week has been a succession of hard frosts which have totally frozen the lake. This has meant the only thing on the lake is Moorhens.
However, before it did freeze up, a Little Grebe(64) was on the only open water on the afternoon of 17th. Walking back to the car I saw the first Grey Wagtail(65) of the year.
With the evenings drawing out I have been able to get up to the orchard in Haymans Hill but have been unable to locate any Waxwings amongst the ever increasing numbers of Redwings and Fieldfares.
I don't think I have ever seen so many Redwings!!At least 3000!!!
Redwings feeding in the orchard.
Every row of trees held similar numbers.
The birds were joined by a hungry Fox

Whilst I was watching the thrushes I had the good fortune to have 10 Lapwings(66) go over. When I got home I had 11 more Lapwings go over the house.A great garden tick.
This afternoon we had a walk up to Haymans Hill and were delighted to have a Snipe(67) go over.






No comments:

Post a Comment