Sunday 29 January 2017

As the lake has been frozen all week there hasn't been much around, although with a partial thaw yesterday, nine Mandarins were on the open water that was.
In the morning yesterday, I went up to Little Murston NR to see the Pine Bunting which showed briefly and also saw a fine male Hen Harrier and Merlin whilst waiting for it to come in.
On the long walk back to the car I also saw three Long Tailed Ducks on the creek.
A pretty good mornings birding.
Today I went down to the lake and found little open water but contented myself watching the feeders.
As usual the Marsh Tits showed well and a Grey Wagtail flew over calling.
On the dam end I bumped in to Patrick who said he had seen a Waxwing in Gibbet Lane.I made my way back home but found nothing.
After dropping my daughter in to Tunbridge Wells I decided to walk up to Haymans Hill but only got twenty yards from my door when I found a WAXWING in an oak tree on the edge of the school. I hurriedly took a shot before it flew off. On walking round the corner I found that in fact there were five.I rang Wez to give him the news but he was at work. The birds flew off so I walked round the village to re-locate them.When I did,in Morley Drive, there were seven.
I phoned Wez again and he joined me to try to get some better shots.They were quite mobile but they eventually settled in trees in the school and the final total was eight.
Waxwings in Morley Drive
Six of the eight

Unfortunately it was grey and only got greyer but I'm sure Wez has got some good shots.
Whilst the birds were mobile they attempted to drink from a puddle opposite my house then settled in a tree in the back garden. A brilliant garden tick as we went round the back to get a look.
I'm hoping they will be around when I get home from work as it is meant to be brighter tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment