Tuesday 3 January 2017

Monday 2nd was dry and sunny,a lot more pleasant.
As I walked from the house a Pied Wagtail(44) landed in the play park.
I carried on down through Kirkins adding a Meadow Pipit(45) and on through Swigs were a Buzzard(46) was catching earthworms before flying away when a second bird chased it off. Crossing the road into Hononton Farm a Grey Heron(47) flew over me and along the stream.
Along the farm track towards the feeders a Reed Bunting(48) flitted into the willow herb in the ditch.
Reed Bunting in the ditch.
I checked the feeders and made my way round the lake as a Cormorant(49) landed on the water.
Round on the Shirrenden side and both Kestrel(50) and Sparrowhawk(51) were seen.
As I got home 2 Greenfinches(52) were on the garden feeders.
In the afternoon I went back to the lake via the orchard in Haymans Hill where there were hundreds of winter thrushes.
I refilled the feeders and added another and stood and watched for a while and was rewarded with a Water Rail(53) that came out to peck about under them.
                                 Interesting Blackbird I photographed at Bewl Water.

2 comments:

  1. I love a Water Rail to visit here again Steve, only ever had two records!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a delight to see them Warren, luck to have a nine acre lake to attract them.

    ReplyDelete