Tuesday 10 July 2012

Sunday 08/07/2012

Just returned from a family holiday on the island of Skiathos. The weather was hot and dry but there wasn't much to be seen in the bird department although I didn't actually do any serious birding as I was restricted to just early morning walks or sky watching whilst sitting by the pool.
Any way, back to the patch!
It was good to get out for a walk on Sunday morning.There were a few juvenile Whitethroats about and I also saw a Lesser Spotted woodpecker in an oak next to the lake. The one Great Crested Grebe chick was still on the lake with its parents in close attendance. My species tally grew as I continued and eventually ended up at 53!, which was 20 more than I'd managed on holiday.On the walk home I came across the first two fledgling Bullfinches of the year.
On the way home from work today I popped into Furnace Pond and in about 20 minutes I had 2 Buzzards, 3 Kestrels, Sparrowhawk, Heron, Mandarin and a Hobby.

1 comment:

  1. You haven't missed much Steve - apart from torrential rain :-) Good to see there are still LSW's about.

    ReplyDelete