Saturday 21 July 2012

More Med Gulls

Had a walk down to the lake this afternoon to see if there were  any gulls on the field adjacent to the lake.
To my surprise there were even more Black headed gulls (84 in all). Even better, there were seven Mediterranean amongst them! These comprised 4 adults, a first summer, a second summer and a juvenile. They proved to be very difficult to get close enough to to get any decent photos of but below are a couple of record shots.
                                                   Adult Mediterranean Gull
                                                    Juvenile Mediterranean Gull.
Whilst standing and counting the gulls I heard some birds calling overhead and it took a little time for me to realise that they were Redpolls.In all there were eleven of them, although I've had them during the summer previously this was a good number and made me wonder if they may have bred somewhere nearby.
I had intended to try to photograph any dragonflies that may have been around the lake but unfortunately it clouded over and started to rain so I only managed to get one picture of a Black Tailed Skimmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment