Tuesday 23 April 2013

The highlights of the patch walk on Sunday were a Red-legged Partridge(92)which was in Kirkins on the way to the lake(see photos),which is a very uncommon bird on my patch!



At the lake I witnessed a male Lesser-spotted Woodpecker feeding on the stems of reedmace in south east corner, it spent quite some time drilling and pulling insects from within the stems but unfortunately stayed deep in the reed bed.
The other highlight was a Tree Pipit(93) which flew over going North west.
On Monday morning I heard the first Reed Warbler(94) calling from the reeds at the southern end.
Today I managed a walk in the morning and saw 1 Buzzard, 3 Mandarin drakes, 1 Reed Bunting
, 1 Reed Warbler,5 Blackcaps and 4 Chiffchaffs at the lake and also heard a Water Rail calling.
Elsewhere on the patch I saw 2 Willow Warblers, 6 Whitethroats(including the first female of the year) the Red legged Partridge and a Buzzard.
I also saw a Grass Snake , a Toad and a Peacock Butterfly.

1 comment:

  1. Red legs are very scarce here too Steve. Wish i had some decent habitat here for some more warblers :-(

    ReplyDelete