Sunday 28 April 2013

It was great to have a whole weekend off work and even better with the sun shining.
The highlight being a female Common Redstart(97) which was in the little scrubby area at the top of Kirkins on Saturday.
This was the first spring record I've had of this species, so I was very pleased.
As well as this, the spring migrants were in fine voice with the Cuckoo calling and showing well and the surprise of two Lapwings on the stubble field in Kirkins on Friday evening.
Today I found a total of 7 Common Whitethroats, 4 Willow Warblers as well as 2 Reed Warblers and lots of Chiffchaff and Blackcaps.
I also found a Lon-tailed Tits nest and a pair of Linnets nest building.
It remains to be seen if I can break the 100 barrier before the start of May,but it seems unlikely as the commoner species I am relying on don't usually turn up till the first week of May.
Here's hoping!!

3 comments:

  1. Quickest 100 species achieved here was 17 May Steve, not come anywhere near that again though!

    That Redstart was a good find indeed mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are doing well mate, my visits have been zero for over a week now getting withdrawal symptons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dropping into the lake in the morning at 06.00,before work and having a walk after work which has helped.

    ReplyDelete