Monday 7 May 2012

Friday 04/05/12 at Furnace Pond

Spent the day fishing at Furnace Pond, although the fishing wasn't very good it gave me a chance to spend some time there watching the local wildlife. The drizzle in the morning brought plenty of Swallows plus 3 Sand Martins and a couple of Swifts. There were also 2 Cuckoos about one of which was my first female of the year which was emitting its strange bubbling call as it flew around. The local Willow Warbler was singing on and off all day as was a Lesser Whitethroat(98) and a couple of Reed Warblers.
Twice the Hirundines were disturbed by my first Hobby(99) of the year as it shot over the lake.In the middle of the morning I picked up on the call of a Common Sandpiper(100) and was pleased to see not one but two drop out of the gloom and onto the lake margins.
Sitting about in one spot for a few hours was very productive as a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker returned to the oak tree I was under a couple of times calling as it did so.
Late in the afternoon two flocks of Herring Gulls totalling 29 (11 + 18) went over.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve,
    Nice to see another local patch blog starting up. I'll look forward to seeing your sightings, always good to see what turns up there, and not here, although you have got that nice piece of water, I wish I had that on my patch :-)

    ReplyDelete