Sunday 24 January 2016

Saturday was a bit of a non-entity as after walking for half an hour heavy mist descended. However a couple of Buzzards were seen and a flock of  Siskins were in the alders.I was unable to make out birds on the lake but returned to find two Little Grebes(64) in the far margin. I took a record shot in the grey conditions:-
Two Little Grebes
Today wasn't much better but it was good to find a flock of Redwings plus 3 Yellowhammers in the horse paddock.The alder wood at the north of the paddock held three species of woodpecker.Both Great -spotted and Lesser-Spotted(65) were drumming and I eventually caught sight of the Lesser-spot as it flitted from one drumming post to another.
I'm always made up when the Lesser spots appear on the patch.
The lake still held the Little Grebes and two Coots but not a lot else.So the struggle for species continues. 

3 comments:

  1. You've seen a Lesser Spotted !!! - any clues where I might look, as I'm not sure where the horse paddock is? Thanks! Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine he must mean the horse paddock that runs alongside the footpath that goes past Shirrenden?

      Delete
  2. I was down there last Monday and there was hardly anything about, which was a shame. Apart from the Moorhens and the Kingfisher, didn't see anything else.

    ReplyDelete