Friday 1 January 2016

Happy New Year

December 2015 passed with no new species for the year list but did turn up my first winter Blackcap and second December Chiffchaff so the list finished on 104(the lowest I can remember).
Looking back on the year and the highlite was probably the Osprey which stayed around for three days in September
juvenile Osprey in Shirrenden.
Sadly, Goosander and Pochard were both missing and Barn Owl seems to have disappeared.The month ended on a a pleasing note when ,on 29th,Egytian Goose,Brambling and the second Raven of the year were seen with a Marsh Tit seen the next day,
Marsh Tit

2016 started at 06:45 when I ventured out into the garden to hear a Tawny Owl calling.After breakfast I left for my walk adding House Sparrow,Robin,Starling Fieldfare,Carrion Crow,Chaffinch  and Robin before I left the garden.As I walked through the village I added Magpie,Collared Dove, Blue Tit,Redwing and Wood Pigeon.
Down through Kirkins and Dunnock and Great Spotted woodpecker were seen plus a flyover Yellowhammer.A Pheasant called from the wood at the bottom where a Song Thrush was singing.
Into the horse paddock where a Grey wagtail then Stock Dove went over followed by a Brambling calling loudly as it flew north.At the bottom of the field a Wren called in alarm as I stepped into Furnace Lane.
I added Green Woodpecker and Siskin as I walked onto Hononten Farm.Along the track I saw Black headed Gull,Canada Goose,Jay,Goldfinch,Meadow Pipit and Herring Gull.
Down at the lake Mallard,Moorhen,Kingfisher,Great crested Grebe,Coot and a female Teal were on the water.Both Common Gull and Cormorant flew over as did a Lesser Redpoll and a Linnet.
Around at Shirrenden Bullfinch, Mistle Thrush,Coal Tit,Nuthatch,Jackdaw,Long tailed Tit,Goldcrest and finally Tree Creeper were added.
On the walk back up Furnace lane a Sparrowhawk was seen bringing the total to 51.A terrific three hours birding.
In the garden and Greenfinches were on the feeders.During the afternoon,on a walk with my wife,Kestrel and Rook were seen bringing the days total to 54,

6 comments:

  1. As you may have read on my blog Steve, 2015 only produced 104 species for me too, the worst total since 2007 :-(

    You already have a species recorded this year that I would love here, namely GG Grebe, only had it one years list! Also Brambling and Teal will be hard to find on my patch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fortunate to have at least one pair of GC Grebes nesting each year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see the blog return! Always look forward to reading it as spend a lot of time down by Furnace Pond myself. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fact that you keep an eye on the 'patch' Stephen. I've lived in the area since 1994 and remember fields around Paddock Wood full of lapwings. And where have all the greenfinches gone (disease I understand)? Glad you have them in your garden as I only saw one once last year. My dream is to see a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker - the last time was when I was 13 (I'm now 51!). Happy spotting. Liz Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Liz,I don't get many records of Lapwing here but expect to get Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in the spring so its worth popping in some time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stephen. Just to tell you I had a Firecrest knocking against my French doors on Wednesday! Had such a good view of it and checked that it wasn't a Goldcrest - 100% sure - eyestripe very clear. Do you see many on your patch? Also, can you explain where the alderwood is so I can look for the Lesser Spotted? Or would you rather not - not sure how these things work!!Thank you...Liz

    ReplyDelete