Friday 15 May 2015

The first Spotted Flycatcher(89) arrived on 11th with two in the small wood on the dam end and later the same day the first Turtle Dove(90) was caught in flight and then purred from inside the tree it had landed in.
On the 13th I received news of two birds that had been seen in the garden of Hononton farmhouse. The first was a Black Redstart on the 21st March and the second a HOOPOE!! that was in the garden at 16.45pm on 29th April. To say I am gutted is an understatement.
I consoled myself with the sighting of a Whinchat(91) in Kirkins later that evening.
Distant shot of Whinchat
Interestingly this is only my second spring record.
Today I saw my first Painted Lady this spring.
I managed a shot of one of the three  Reed Warblers on the lake.
The two Lesser Whitethroats still seemed to holding territories and two fledgling Grey wagtails have put in an appearance on the stream.Two robin fledglings were also seen today and the brood of mallard ducklings still totals five.There was also another pair of Common Terns on the lake this afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. A real pity you missed that Hoopoe Steve!

    Like you, I had only my second records of spring Whinchat this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You win some, you lose some
    They've got my number,so hopefully if anything juicy turns up in future,I'll get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I promise that i'll be in touch Steve if we have anything else unusual or need help identifying! Sorry 😀

    ReplyDelete