Tuesday 12 February 2013

Despite the appalling weather on Sunday I went for a walk around Furnace Pond. This turned out to be a bit disappointing, not unsurprisingly. However  there was a flock of seventy plus Siskins in the alders with a mixed flock of Goldfinches and Chaffinches feeding beneath them.
The lake held a few Mallard and Moorhens as well as a Coot and a pair of Great-crested Grebes.
In the new orchard I had some great close views of a Buzzard feeding on earthworms on the ground.
The local kingfisher had been joined by another and they were chasing each other up and down the lake.
After a while I decided to give it best and go home to get dried out.
I sat watching the feeders in the garden and was treated to a pair of Siskins coming to the sunflower hearts.

In the afternoon I went for a walk around Share Farm,on the other side of the village, in the hope of adding Snipe. Which didn't happen. I did see a flock of twenty five Yellowhammers and four Skylarks as well as another Buzzard feeding on earthworms. Presumably these are easy pickings when the ground is so wet.
On to today, with the highlight being a redhead Goosander(73) on Furnace Pond.
A rather distant Goosander which I couldn't get close to.

No comments:

Post a Comment