Monday 1 October 2012

Last weekend of September

Saturday started a bit on the chilly side but I went out with great expectancy. Bird numbers were good and it was pleasing to find some summer migrants still around. There were House Martins and Swallows passing overhead all the time heading a WSW direction and in all there I counted about 400 and 120 respectively. At the lake I found 6 Chiffchaffs and a Blackcap and there were 20 Meadow Pipits & 16 Pied wagtails in the cleared field at the southern end.On the lake itself were 52 Mallard & 10 Mandarins and as I watched them a Kingfisher landed on a branch right next to me.On the waterfall a Grey wagtail was busy feeding.
In the afternoon I had a little walk with my wife and decided to walk around to the Shirrenden side of the lake and was delighted find a Cetti's Warbler(110) in the South East corner which called a couple of times before disappearing into the undergrowth. FANTASTIC!! Not only a new bird for the year list but a new one for the Patch.

1 comment: