Monday 4 June 2012

Damsels and Dragons

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to get on to the patch this week, but after working most of the night on Thursday I did manage a walk on Friday 1st. The sun was shining in the morning so I decided to try to get to grips with the Damselflies and Dragonflies on the lake.
There were plenty of Red-eyed Damsels and a few Common Blues on the lily pads and in the long grass I found some White-legged Damsels. On the dragonfly front there was a rather fine looking Emperor Dragonfly.
                                                  Red-eyed Damselfly on lily pad

On the stream which runs away from the lake I found my first Banded Demoiselles of the year which included 2 males(always a delight to see them skipping around).
                                                           Banded Demoiselle

In the afternoon I popped down for another try but unfortunately it had clouded over and I only managed one unidentified dragonfly. However whilst there I did see a family of Great Tits and Long tailed Tits and just as I was about to leave a Red Kite circled low over the lake before gaining height and drifting off South.

No comments:

Post a Comment