Thursday 30 March 2017

 The first Blackcap(72) arrived on 23rd March when one was singing in the back garden. The earliest date I have recorded the species on my patch.
Today three were recorded with the one still in the back garden and two in Swigs.
On Sunday 26th it was a bit misty and chilly when I went out which cleared relatively quickly although it was still chilly so I was  to find a Grass snake on the bank of the lake. It appeared to be half dead but I guess it was just cold as it moved a little once it warmed in my hands. I put it in a nice sunny position and when I checked later it had gone.

I was able to walk the patch on Tuesday 28th and had a very enjoyable walk in the sunshine.
Skylarks were singing in three areas of the patch and eight singing Chiffchaffs.
A single Blackcap was singing behind the pumping station in Furnace Lane. The lake held 5 Mandarin and the pair of Great crested Grebes of note.Woodpeckers were drumming everywhere and I was delighted to see a pair of LSW which were chasing each other around.
Raptors were also displaying with Buzzard, Kestrel and Sparrowhawk seen.
Five Lesser Black-backed Gulls went over north.
The sun also brought out the insects with Peacock,Small Tortoiseshell and Green Veined white seen plus the first Bee fly and something I photographed but don't know what it is.
Bee Fly
Interesting-any ideas?


2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, with regards to your last photo, my insect book suggests that it might be bombus muscorum? They are meant to be quite varied. Google it and see what you think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wes, I'll give it a look!

    ReplyDelete