Monday 2 May 2016

I returned to the patch on Sunday 1st May, after a few days in Devon, to a pair of Common Terns(87)
on the lake.

One of the Common Terns
On the walk back home I was delighted to see my first Swift(88) of the year wheeling over the village.
Todays walk started with the Lesser Whitethroat still singing at the top of Kirkins and as I walked down Furnace Lane a pair of Marsh Tits made their way up the hedgerow to the feeders in one of the gardens.Also there I saw my first Blackbird fledgling of the spring.
The Willow Warbler is still singing in the usual spot so I'm still hopeful.
As I walked down the farm track I watched a Crow chasing a Cuckoo down the new orchard. It seems that everything dislikes these birds!
The lake held four Mandarin drakes and the Coots appear to be nest building but unfortunately the Great-crested Grebes have lost their eggs.
The southern end held a singing Garden Warbler(89) but the Reed Warbler wasn't heard.Four Swallows and a single House Martin were flying around the lake and the Swift was flying was over the village again.
In total 44 species were seen of which 10 were summer visitors. 


No comments:

Post a Comment