Thursday 15 October 2015

I was away at the end of September so didn't get to walk the patch until a short walk after work on the 6th October which produced the first Lesser Redpolls of the Autumn plus a few House Martins and Chiffchaffs were still around.
On Saturday 12th I managed a full walk of the patch which gave the first Water Rail and a decent flock of Siskins plus a few L/Redpolls. Skylarks were passing over head in small numbers and there was a total of 9 Chiffchaffs.A flock of 30 Meadow Pipits were on Kirkins field and in total 42 species were seen.
On Sunday the the undoubted highlight was a skein of 320 Brent Geese(101) which went over at 08.15am.
On the insect front I found a Hornets nest in the oak tree which usually plays host to the local Little Owl pair.
Hornets nest.
I've attached a photo of the Osprey which stayed around the lake for three days in September.
Unfortunately the light was poor and the Osprey was always distant.


1 comment:

  1. I agree Steve, the Brent Geese were a good find for our respective patches :-) A water Rail would be as equally as good for me though!

    ReplyDelete