Wednesday 11 March 2015

Week Ending 08/03/15

Saturday began with me making my way down to Kirkins. The back garden yielding Goldfinch,House Sparrow,Collared Dove and Blackbird as I made my way out.
Song Thrushes were in full song as were the local Robins.
The top of Kirkins saw me adding Wood pigeon,Blue tit and a pair of flyover jackdaws.On the field were a few Starlings and three magpies.Two Greenfinches went over in their song flight and Dunnocks were chasing about the brambles.
Behind Tucks Villas I added Jay,Mistle thrush, Bullfinch, Great tit and a single Linnet and Stock Dove.
Into Furnace Lane and a Wren called from the hedgerow.
At the pumping station I found 4 Yellowhammers feeding in the horse paddock with a good number of Fieldfares and Redwings.
At Hononton farm I had 3 Herring Gulls over and a single Common Gull.
The ditch at the southern end of the lake held a singing Reed Bunting.
Male Reed Bunting in full song
I decided to check the cleared field behind the farm house and added Skylark and Meadow Pipit.
The lake held very little save for the usual Great-crested grebes, Mallards, Moorhens, Mandarin and Black headed Gull.
On the Sirrenden side I had all three woodpeckers plus Long tailed tit,Coal tit,Goldcrest , Treecreeper and Nuthatch. On the raptor front I had Kestrel and Buzzard.
Walking back towards Furnace Lane and the pair of Grey Wagtails were below the waterfall.
As I got back to the house two Rooks went over as did a Pied Wagtail.
In total I saw 48 species which I think is a fantastic tally for the day.
On Sunday I added Kingfisher, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Pheasant and Sparrowhawk and amazingly I had a Tawny Owl calling at 9 o'clock in the morning!!
In the garden at 11.50 a.m five Buzzards were circling over the house.It's extraordinary how they have multiplied in the last few years.
Male House Sparrow in the garden
So,53 species were seen at the weekend.Brilliant!!

2 comments:

  1. 53 Species for the weekend - very good indeed Steve, with some nice birds as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Warren,I don't think I've had many better weekends on the patch.

    ReplyDelete