Tuesday 2 December 2014

GOODBYE TO NOVEMBER!

Well November has passed and at last there seems to be an increase in the winter thrush numbers. On the 22nd there were just over 200 Fieldfares in the orchard at the lake which increased to 400 on the 28th.
Fieldfare by the lake.
Redwings seem to be in short supply with the highest number being about 50 on the 28th. 
The lake itself seems to at last be turning up something other than the usual Mallards and Moorhens with a Tufted drake on the 28th and 8(4 pairs) of Wigeon on the 29th which flew off south and a pair on the 30th.
There were a lot of birds in the orchard on the 28th for as well as the winter thrushes there were 100 Starlings,30 Chaffinches and in the alders ,300 Goldfinches plus 10 Siskins.
Pied Wagtail on the roof of Lake Cottage
On the 30th I had one that got away when a large Pipit went over the orchard but I wasn't quick enough to get on it properly and unfortunately it disappeared south east. My gut feeling was a Richards but it didn't call so I'll just have to chalk it up to experience.
This evening I had a drake Gadwall(108)on the lake so I'm hopeful I might reach 110 by the end of the year.


2 comments:

  1. Unlucky with the Pipit Steve :-( 110 looks very possible for you there, me too if I can find a Brambling !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, It's a bit annoying! Good luck with the Brambling. I think i'll be relying on a couple of duck species!

    ReplyDelete