Sunday 9 November 2014

9TH NOVEMBER-Round-up of the first week.

The first of the month produced the first Fieldfares of the winter with a total of 72 seen(Hooray!!) plus 36 Redwings.A flock of 20 Siskins were in the alders with at least 200 Goldfinches.The field at Kirkins held 14 Skylarks,30 Meadow Pipits.10 Pied Wagtails and a dozen Linnets.
Four species of Gulls were seen (Common,Lesser Black-backed,Herring and Black-headed) but the lake it was very quiet just Moorhen,Mallard and a Great crested Grebe on the water although a female Kingfisher was there and two Grey Wagtails flew down the lake.The total for the day was 46 species.
Yesterdays walk( the 8th) didn't through up any surprises so in the afternoon Phyllis and I went to Reculver to hopefully see the Desert Wheatear which we duly did. Unfortunately it got rather overcast and breezy as we arrived so the photos weren't as good as I'd hoped.
Male Desert Wheatear

As I had to work today I didn't get out till after lunch but I was glad I did when as I walked into Kirkins I noticed a small bird flitting off the fence onto the ground then back again. Before I could get the binos on it properly it flew up onto the roof of one of the new houses. It was as I had thought a Black Redstart(106),a great start to the walk.To be honest not much else of note was seen so I made my way to the lake via the Hononten farm track. As I neared the farm I did what I always do,scan the roofs of the farm buildings and to my amazement found another Black Redstart!!What are the chances? This bird could have been the one I'd seen earlier but the buildings are about a mile away so I feel it must have been a second bird.
One of todays Black Redstarts

On the insect front I was amazed to find this Clouded Yellow butterfly as I walked back home.
The latest Clouded Yellow I've ever seen.




4 comments:

  1. Steve,
    Thats funny, I was just thinking about finding a Black Redstart as i walked round my patch today...............I didn't though!

    Well done to you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Warren, I must admit I wasn't expecting to stumble upon them on my patch as I've only had five records in eighteen years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Desert Wheatear pics and the list is looking good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alan,I think they could have been better if the sun had shone!

    ReplyDelete