Sunday 13 April 2014

It's been a bit of a mixed week.On Tuesday I had what will undoubtedly be the last Fieldfare of the spring when a single bird flew over the house at 06.10 as I left for work.
That evening at 19.00 I had a quick walk and was made-up to find a cracking male Wheatear(77) in the field opposite Kirkins Cottages in Furnace Lane.
Male Wheatear.
On the 8th I found a Willow Warbler(78) on one of the only patch territories left after last years butchery by local farmers. A real relief!! The first Cuckoo(79) called somewhere on the village green as I left the house at 07.00 yesterday but remained unseen until this morning when it called persistently and gave some really great, if distant, views. There were also 4 Swallows at the lake plus a few going through this morning.
The local pair of Buzzards have been displaying well and Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps seem to be everywhere. There are also now three broods of Mallard ducklings on the lake.
I'm looking forward to the next few weeks and what they might bring.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff Steve, still looking for Wheatear here but things are starting to pick-up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to find a Wheatear on your patch Steve, nice one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys, not a gimme on my patch so I'm well chuffed.

    ReplyDelete