Monday 31 March 2014

End of March update

The last few days of March were pretty good to me with the lake livening up on Friday as a Bittern(73) turned up.Sadly they don't spend the winter here anymore but it was great to add one to the list for another year. I couldn't get anywhere near it as it sat high in a tree after being flushed by something in the reeds.
Bittern in tree (honest!)
A second Blackcap had also turned up and was singing behind Lake Cottage.The lake held a pair of Tufted Ducks,2 pairs of Mandarins, 2 pairs of Canada Geese and 2 pairs of Grey-lag Geese and a pair of Grey Wagtails on the stream.  
On Saturday raptors were in plentiful supply with 3 Buzzards, a Sparrowhawk, 2 Kestrels and a Peregrine seen during my morning walk and after stroll in the afternoon with my wife, as we entered the back garden we had a Marsh Harrier(74) going over south. FANTASTIC !! 
Nothing was added during Sunday morning but a walk in the afternoon produced 2 Mediteranean Gulls(75)  which were feeding with 50 Herring Gulls and 10 Lesser Black-backed Gulls on a field being turned by a tractor on Swigs side.
I'm looking forward to April and hope it continues in the same vein.
 

4 comments:

  1. Some excellent additions Mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking out for - and hoping, for a Harrier species here this spring :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Alan, I'm hoping it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harriers are not always on my year list Warren so I'm well chuffed!!

    ReplyDelete