Saturday 17 August 2013

Saturday 17th August

As I left the house this morning I was greeted by the sound of House Martins over head, There seems to be a few more around at the moment.
Into the top of Kirkins and I soon found a group of warblers in the mass of brambles which included 4Whitethroat, 2 Garden Warbler,a Willow Warbler, 3 Chiffchaff, a Blackcap, a Reed Warbler and 2 Lesser Whitethroats( the first since 9th May) a truly wonderful collection of birds.
As I watched them a lone Herring Gull went over, quickly followed by a Lesser Black-backed Gull. As I walked down the field I added Goldfinch, Linnet, Swallow Jackdaw and Rook.
On the rape stubble in Furnace Lane I found 5 Stockdoves, 7 Wood Pigeon and a Collared Dove.
I decided on a look in the small horse paddock opposite the lake where I found 6 Spotted Flycatchers with some more warblers.
At the lake the overgrown ditch produced absolutely nothing! You can't win them all! The lake itself held the usual Mandarins, Moorhens and Mallards and as I approached it a Cormorant flew off and a Kingfisher shot past.
Around the other side of the lake, on the Shirrenden side I came across the mixed flock which also contained some tits in the shape of 8 Blue, 2 Coal, 3 Great and 6 Long-tailed Tits plus 10 or more Willow Warblers and 9 Spotted Flycatchers. As I was trying to sift through them 2 Turtle Doves went overhead.
I checked the stock pond where the water level is dropping, hoping I might find a wader,but alas.
Whilst here I found a Clouded Yellow :-
Male Clouded Yellow Butterfly
On the other side of the field I found a Painted Lady and Small Copper as well as lots of whites, Meadow Browns and Common Blues.
Painted Lady
Small Copper
The only dragonflies were a Black tailed Skimmer, 2 Migrant Hawkers and a Brown Hawker.
 The only raptor seen was a female Sparrowhawk but in all 48 bird species were seen during two and a half hours.


4 comments:

  1. Great Collection of Warblers and Flycatchers there Steve, sounds like its getting busy there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Warren.Trouble is I'm not getting enough time on the patch at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff Steve, it's been so quiet here, 48 was a good total.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan,I was very pleased with the total but could do with a new one for the list.

      Delete