Sunday 4 May 2014

April Update and beyond.

The first Reed Warbler(84) arrived at the lake on 22nd followed the next day by four House Martins(85).
Unfortunately I missed out on a Common Tern on the 25th which Glyn had through in the afternoon.
I managed a good walk around the patch on 27th  adding Garden Warbler(86) and a Yellow Wagtail(87) which headed over north east. I had a great few hours on the patch and was delighted with the two additions plus the total of 51 birds seen and was was well cuffed to find two Mistle Thrush families in the horse paddock behind the pumping station. I did miss out on two Mute Swans that landed on the lake and stayed around for only an hour(seen by Andy) on the 29th.
Into May and a small bird found fliitting around a row of apple trees turned out to be my first Marsh Tit(88) of 2014.
Today turned up another Willow Warbler singing in the top scrub in Kirkins.
Willow Warbler
This afternoon as Phyllis and I were out for a stroll which took us round the lake three ducks flew in and landed on the water. These turned out to be Garganey(89) FANTASTIC!! I could hardly contain myself. They seemed to be very skittish so I contented myself with watching them and photographing them from distance not wanting to spook them.
Garganey(2 drakes and a duck)
A brilliant end to the weekend. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow ! Garganey on the local patch !! A year maker Steve :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Warren, It's amazing what can turn up when you are patch watching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning stuff Steve... Garganey! and 3 of them brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Alan, they were little stunners.

    ReplyDelete